Pages

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Why I still want a 'working' Jindo

There are some people out there who say that the Jindo should be changed to have less of a prey drive as it can be a liability in our modern age.

I'm not one of them.

I could prepare a wall of text on why the Jindo should remain a hunting dog with their particular temperament traits, but instead I'll just share one of the reasons I want a hunting Jindo *right now.* 



Red Zebra Heirloom tomato
 

Brandy Boy heirloom tomato


I've yet to harvest a single heirloom tomato as the rodents have been getting to them during the night.  I've tossed at least 15 tomatoes in the past two days.  BokDol tries to get the rats during the times he's out, but he's just too big to be nimble in the garden.  He'll be better for bigger vermin and in keeping out the coyotes.  PoongSoon still has the puppy coordination and is too young to be out at the same time as the coyotes, but I suspect she'll have the same problem as BokDol. 

4 comments:

  1. Darn rodents. =(

    Only issues I have is rabbits and deer mice don't seem to bother my stuff, but who knows they might..

    I agree with you on the Jindo I think they're neat breed be sad if they lost their traits to become more of just a house dog..

    Saya my shiba inu has caught a baby bunny once and I could see her wanting to go for a mouse she loves the chasing the small toy on the flirt pole and gets interested in that type of stuff..

    Sorry about your tomatoes I've lost lot of corn and green beans from those types of animals.. =\

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have rabbits too, but they're only bold enough to get to the spinach which are already bolting.

    I think I'm going to have to pick the tomatoes while they're green in order to get something this year. Kinda ruins the entire idea of homegrown tomatoes though.

    On the bright side, the chickens are happy to peck at the tomatoes that I've tossed, and the rats haven't started on my eggplants yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a rodent attacking our baby rose bushes so we ended up getting the Rat Zapper (Ultra). We tried sprays and powders...but none of them worked. The Rat Zapper caught the culprit the first night we had it out. Maybe something to consider? They sell it on amazon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a tomcat rat trap, but I haven't been using it in the garden because of the dogs. When I complained about my tomato woes at work, my co-worker suggested nailing the trap to the palm tree out of reach of the dogs. The rats like to live in the palm tree fronds. I may try that.

    ReplyDelete