Pages

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Upcoming Saturday

This coming Saturday will be the 8th Southern CA Jindo Picnic, and as usual, I'll be preparing the Korean portion of the menu there. 

That means massive food prep on Friday night and Sat early morning.  After doing seven picnics, I'm trying to work smarter and not harder this year though.   Since I'm also bringing PoongSoon along, I'm going to try to avoid being a slave to the BBQ pit. 

Currently on my prep list:

Ddak bulgogi.   Boneless chicken thigh in red pepper paste/flakes.  I've already started marinating this one.  I'll thoroughly cook this the night before, chill, and re-heat on the grill onsite.

Kalbi.  Beef short ribs with the usual traditional flavors particularly garlic.   I'm leaning towards cooking this onsite. 

Gogoma.  Korean sweet potato.  This will be steamed the night before and finished on the grill.

Konamul.  Soybean sprouts.  My mother volunteered to prepare this. 

Sangchae.  Shredded radish.  My mother volunteered to prepare this.

Kimchi.  Store bought. 

Bap.  White sticky rice.  Cooked in the ultra modern talking rice cooker but transported in a huge retro rice warmer.   

Chapchae.  Transparent noodles with slivers of veggies, odan, and pork.  This is the most labor intensive item.  Some prep can be done the night before, but cooking, cooling, and mixing has to be done in the morning. 


On Saturday morning before the picnic, I'll be making a detour in South LA to make a breed ID on a dog that was removed from a neglect situation.  He's a suspect Poongsan and I'm kicking around the idea of fostering him if he looks like one in person.   The preliminary pictures weren't very clear.  

After the picnic, I may swing by the home where I got PoongSoon from so they can see how she's grown..  I'll probably smell like BBQ and dog though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment