Pages

Friday, June 24, 2011

Type vs. Style in Jindos

The following are two female Jindos that attended the Jindo picnic several weekends ago.  They both have strong Jindo "type" but they have very different Jindo "styles." 


Photo by Patty Etherington

"Type" in this context means physical traits that instantly identify an individual dog as a member of a breed.

The female dog on the left is of a style that would be favored by groups such as the Korea Kennel Club.

The female dog on the right is of a style that would be favored by the Korean National Dog Association.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the side-by-side comparison.

    I've met a few Jindos over the years, but the variety of styles still confuses me, so I don't think I could ID one for sure unless I asked.

    This is the first Jindo I ever met:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/menghsindy/5868760076/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/menghsindy/5868200221/

    He was the pet of a Korean American family running a motel in Wyoming.

    And so for a long time, that's basically what I expected Jindos to look like. So when I was told this one is also a Jindo, I was quite surprised:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/menghsindy/5385861127/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see your confusion. :-)

    The dog in Wyoming needs to lose some weight but he may be a Jindo-Chow mix that was common in the big cities of Korea. Pet stores were selling them as Jindos, taking advantage of the lack of knowledge back then.

    ReplyDelete