Pages

Sunday, May 29, 2011

My other "Gae"

In my last post, I mentioned that "gae" means chicken in Chinese.

As crazy as it sounds, I actually own several chickens now.  Their primary purpose is to lay eggs.  Their secondary purpose is to provide fertilizer for my fruit trees and garden.  Their tertiary purpose is to test my Korean dogs for intelligence - whether the dogs can understand the difference between domestic life stock and wild prey. 

Here are my current birds:

I have two Rhode Island Reds that are really production red hybrids.  They're about a year old and lay brown eggs. 

Lucy and Ethel

I have two Easter Eggers.  Easter Egger is a term for a hybrid that lays pink, green, or blue eggs.  These are 2 months old and should lay green eggs when they turn 6 months old.  My nephew named one Integral.  I guess the other one is Derivative then?

Integral

Derivative?


I have two Ameraucanas.  They're also about 2 months old.  These were hatched by a local who got eggs shipped from a breeder with good lines.  They were hatched out of turquoise-colored eggs.   I picked them up as "straight run" which means not sexed.  They ended up being one girl and one boy.  The light colored one is a female with a wheaten blue coloration.  The dark one has the plumage of a male blue wheaten Ameraucana.  I haven't decided what to do with him yet.  He hasn't started crowing so I have some time to think it over.

My brother-in-law wants to call the female "Chick" and the male "Ken."  My nephew wants to name one "Fluffy."




No comments:

Post a Comment