Pages

Sunday, May 15, 2011

What are they like?



There are some people that have asked me about Poongsan dogs and what they are like.

It's a bit presumptuous for me to say what Poongsans are like, with my experience of only owning one baby, but since there aren't many Poongsan owners on the web reporting in English, I guess I would just put my observations out there until there is more information forthcoming.

The first thing to notice is that Poongsans aren't Jindos.  They are a bigger breed that mature slower, with adulthood that is said to be achieved at 4 years of age.  They are less physically advanced than similarly aged Jindo puppies.  They very much have a puppy coordination.  While a Jindo pup at 8 weeks of age may be able to jump on and over a couch, a Poongsan pup at 8 weeks would be good at standing up on her hind legs with front paws on the couch hopping up and down.  At least that is what PoongSoon was capable of.       

In terms of mental maturity, I would say that PoongSoon was a week slower than my past Jindos in having the needed calmness to learn commands.  Once she did get that, she often gave the impression of not learning the commands on the first session.  However, when tested on the second session, she was calmly, perfectly doing the commands.   So, she either needs the break to percolate what she's learned, or she's not a showy student.  Obedience commands taught to date are "sit", "paw", and "down."    Once she accepts the leash, I'll work on "come," "stay" and other mobile commands.

In terms of cleanliness, she was house-broken in about a week.  The times she peed inside was when she didn't make it all the way outside.  It wasn't because she didn't make the attempt to pee outside or didn't let us know.

In terms of noise, wow, she has a healthy set of lungs.  She cried VERY loudly on the first two nights to the point that my dad slept on the floor next to her.  And she'll cry if she needs to go potty outside.  I worry if the neighbors can hear - and they're quite a ways away.  But on other occassions, she's VERY quiet.  I rarely hear her bark or play-growl.  Not when she sees the chickens, not when she plays with toys, and not when she plays with Jersey.  She single-barked at me once when I didn't treat her after a "sit".  That's about it when it comes to her barking.

No comments:

Post a Comment