Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Training PoongSoon vs. BokDol

PoongSoon is in her 6th week of Puppy Socialization class at HVOC.  At the same time, I've been working with BokDol at home.  He's still rather scared of traveling outside the home so no group class for him until he's better.

Here are some differences that have evolved between the two though:

PoongSoon is slower to respond to verbal commands but acts faster with hand signals.
BokDol is very, very good with verbal commands and only needs the hand signals for reminders.

PoongSoon can be very sloppy with her sits, her comes, her watch-me's, etc.
BokDol sits very precisely, comes to a neat front.

PoongSoon has no reservations about climbing on top of agility equipment during puppy class.
BokDol is still afraid of the vet scale, the outdoor dog house, etc.

PoongSoon will sometimes try to knock out food with her paw when I tell her to "leave it."
BokDol will flatten himself on the ground.

PoongSoon doesn't normally pull while on lead.
BokDol will pull using the harness, the Alaskan Collar, the EZ Harness by Premier, and the Gentle Leader.

Most of my ouchies from PoongSoon is from her using her jumping on me and scratching me with her front paws.  Most of my ouchies from BokDol is from him ramming the top of his head against my legs (right on the bone!) while trying to twist out of my grip on his collar.   When I first got him, he gave me a bad hyper-extended knee.  I've learned since to never lock my knee around him. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi GwG, first of all great blog! I am a sucker for pictures & videos and you got a bunch of them for PoongSoon & BokDol... I had a great time catching up and will be revisiting soon! ;-)

    I was referred to you by mc, hoping you can help identify a neighborhood stray. I suspect he is a Jindo but I am no expert (Shiba owner here!), I am wondering if you may be interested in taking a guess? http://www.shibamac.com/?p=632

    ReplyDelete