Pages

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Play Style of a Poongsan

Tonight was the second night of Puppy class at HVOC and I think I can safely conclude the preferred play style of not only my Poongsans but also Poongsan dogs in general.

For the Poongsans that do indulge in wrestling play, they take the position of a play bow (low chest, high rear) right on top of the other dog.  It's face to face and tail to tail. They'll put their entire weight to their chest to keep the other dog pinned.

It looks a lot like a dominant dog taking advantage of a submissive dog, or a bully picking on a smaller dog.  I don't discount that there may be an element of one or both developing in PoongSoon, but BokDol also does the same to PoongSoon. 

It's very self-reinforcing to PoongSoon and I'm concerned that letting her continue to play with submissive or smaller puppies is not the way to go.  I would rather put her with an adult that will loudly put her into her place if she tries the same with him or her.    I would also rather put her with an adult with an entirely different play style that discourages her "prey pinning" style.

No comments:

Post a Comment