Pages

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Garden & Yard

The heat wave has pretty much killed the garden, but the fruit trees are surviving and even producing. 

I harvested my first Asian pear today.  It was very juicy and sweet.  It was crisp only in the very center.

Asian Pear

The green grapes still need a little more time, but the red grapes have nearly turned into raisins on the vine.

Seedless Grapes

I'm still crossing my fingers that the lone thriving persimmon tree will hang onto its fruit.   There's still a whiles to go before the fruit is ripe.

Persimmon


The fuji tree is in it's second year of producing so no worries there.  It'll probably be another month or two before I pick these. 

Fuji Apple

The pomergranates have pretty much been neglected, but they seem to do well regardless.


Pomergranate

This is the first year that we've eaten any figs from our lone fig tree.  Half the time the fruit turns bad before they look like this pump fig in the picture.  The inside is pink in color.

Fig
Jujubees do exceptionally well in heat.  We used to have several trees when we lived in the Valley of the Sun, Phoenix.

Jujubee
My experimental plant for this year were okras.  Although the bushes never took off and are barely a foot tall, they have survived when the tomatos died. 

Okra

Most of the yard is brown but there are some spots of color.  Mostly in the potted plants. 


This is the flower to an edible root that Koreans eat.  I can't remember the name of the root though.



This lantana is a common groundcover in desert climates.  One of these days when I'm done landscaping the slopes, this will be planted into the ground.

Lantana

This is a very desert-hardy bouganvilla. It's currently in a pot until I figure out where to plant it on the slope.


Bouganvilla

 This is one of my mother's favorite flowers.  It comes in vine or bush form.



Here are my mother's other project flowers, day lilies.

Day Lily


Day Lily

This is my dad's mis-order:



This annual is turning into a perannual.


This is my favorite agave.  No spines!  I'll transfer the chicks (baby agaves) after they're a little bit bigger. 

Foxtail Agave





No comments:

Post a Comment