Pages

Friday, August 31, 2012

A Korean Idiom - "Dog Poop Melon"

I just discovered this jewel in the backyard.  It's a Korean melon that grew as wild as a volunteer underneath a new shade tree.




I asked my dad if he saw the melon and he called it gae ddong chameh which translates into dog poop melon.

The phrase threw me for a loop.  The dogs didn't have anything to do with this melon plant or melon.     

I guess in the old days in Korea the street dogs would find the melon leftovers, eat them, and then deposit them elsewhere.  The seeds that survived the dog's digestive tract would then sprout and grow in an odd spot.

In our case, when we threw the melon scraps into the compost heap, it didn't get hot enough to kill the seeds.  Then when we used the compost for the new tree and watered the new tree even during the heat wave, it was the perfect environment for a melon plant to grow.    

No comments:

Post a Comment