Pages

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Gracie the Foster Jindo - Update


Gracie has been spayed!

Gracie had gone into heat at exactly 5 months +1 day of age which is early even for a Jindo.   I was planning on waiting until she was older, but her going into heat bumped up the procedure.

Normally, vets would recommend against doing a spay during a heat because of increased swelling and  bleeding during the procedure, but outwardly Gracie didn't appear swollen and I guess internally she wasn't there yet.  The vet didn't charge the promised extra fee for the "spay during the heat" procedure.   

Gracie went home with the Tramadol pain meds which I didn't really need for her but the vet tech insisted that I take or they wouldn't do the abdominal surgery.  I told them I still have leftovers from Sunny's spay but it didn't convince them.  (I hadn't used up Sunny's meds because she was too active for her own good while on the meds.)  Since I was under a time constraint with Gracie, I let it by.

Gracie got the pain meds the first day and then on the morning of the second day, she proceeded to move her x-pen a good 3 ft and escape from it.  So no more meds for her afterwards.  She really was just fine.

She is almost done with wearing the stitches.  She's been a good dog and not doing the "scratching the belly while standing up" that Sunny did.

Today, I took off her cone and decided to weigh her.  It seems like during the past week and a half, she grew a lot.  She's now 32 lbs and about 18 inches at the shoulders.  This surprised me since I still think of her as small.

My perspective must be changing with the Poongsans around me.    



No comments:

Post a Comment